January is synonymous with making New Year resolutions, those common refrains that are a reaction to the excesses of the Christmas season. By the third week of January, it is business as usual.
This year why not seize the essence of the New Year, fresh start mentality and make some ‘re-solutions’ to make 2020 your best year yet.
Here are 20 questions to harness your wisdom and to set your focus for the year ahead. So put twenty minutes aside, grab a pen and pad, and a mug of something warm and give yourself the gift of reflection and conscious intention-setting.
1. At this point in your life, what are you grateful for? (Opening with this question, gets us in the optimum state for the questions to follow. Plus, I believe that without an appreciation for what is, nothing can appreciate from it if we use both meanings of the word!)
2. What’s working well in your life right now?
3. What would you most like to change or adjust in 2020?
4. What would you like to be your three biggest achievements of 2020? (It might be changing a job, getting a new car, travelling to a place you always wanted to visit, or it could be something small, yet significant to you.)
5. In 2020 what can you do to further enhance the quality of the important relationships in your life?
6. What would you be most happy about completing in 2020 that has perhaps dragged over from 2019?
7. What treat or indulgence are you willing to allow yourself to receive and experience in 2020?
8. What could you look forward to learning in 2020?
9. What do you think might be your biggest risk in 2020 and how can you best prepare yourself for it? Putting it another way, what chance could you take in 2020?
10. In terms of your mindset, appearance or demeanour, what are you committed to changing or enhancing in 2020?
11. What would it make sense for you to stop doing in 2020? (Maybe there has been a dead horse you’ve been flogging, or despite your best efforts what is simply not working and it’s time to change approach or move on?)
12. What would you like to do more of (or do more consistently) in 2020?
13. What is one as yet undeveloped talent or skill you are willing to explore in 2020?
14. What brings you the most joy and how can you connect with that more purposefully in 2020?
15. What have you always dreamt about, but have put off, or felt too scared to try, but could attempt in 2020?
16. What would be your equivalent of an Oscar win in 2020? (What would be a game-changer for you?)
17. What would you like to experience in 2020?
18. Sometimes we can forget that it is ok to want things for ourselves. So what would you like to have, get or do in 2020? (We can allow ourselves to be materialistic here, we’ve already covered the personal development/ ‘noble’ goals!)
19. What word or phrase would you like to have as your theme in 2020?
20. With a New Year full of possibility stretching ahead, what advice would you give yourself going into 2020?
In today’s hectic world there are many demands on our time and energy.
Without conscious effort, it is all too easy to sacrifice what really matters most to us as daily urgencies swamp our attention. If you answer the above questions for yourself and forge goals, or set your intention for 2020, you are doing something that the vast majority of the people never do.
We get what we focus on, so in 2020 let’s focus on what’s most important to us.
My annual flagship workshop SOAR2020 is fast approaching and will take place on Thursday, January 30th (6.30pm – 9.00pm) in the Westbury Hotel, Dublin 2.
What started ten years ago as a small gathering of like-minded people discussing goals for the year ahead, has become a forum of inspiration and positivity which we all need, especially in January.
Tickets are selling fast so to find out more about this hugely anticipated event and to book your place click here.